Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Art of Collage

This week we will be doing a series on Photo Collages. These images were all created by my students at the community college where I teach. I continue to be charmed and inspired by the creativity of the people in my Emeritus classes!


A Simple Circle

I love a simple circle when I see it in my students creations. I have three fine examples below.

The first one is of a gentleman's kitty. The shape comes from the porthole of a cruise ship. Combine the two and allow one little foot outside of the circle to give a bit of a third dimension and you have a winner!


“Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.” ~Albert Schweitzer

Below is a collage done by Betty Levy. She is a painter who we often feature on our blog. She has a great eye. I always look forward to seeing her work! Here is a black and white image of a cathedral ceiling, with the very same image added in color to the layer above.


“In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.” Flora Edwards


And another great idea from Natalie Harris. Here is a beloved granchild at a soccer game. Put her in the empty space of one of Barbara Hepworth's sculptures (from the Nasher garden in Dallas) and you create a unique image!



"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in the circle of those who are." ~C. S. Lewis


A special thanks to Betty Levy and Natalie Harris for being friends of the blog!

No comments: