Monday, February 20, 2012

Internet Magic

Jane Booras is the Editor of numerous newsletters. From time to time, she will be sharing how you can find whatever you need - photos, clipart, information, maps, phone numbers - on the Internet.



One day last week when I opened the front door, I noticed a new “Yellow Pages” phone book had been delivered. It was thick and heavy, and I lugged it inside and back to the study. There I retrieved last year’s edition of the same book. Together they could easily give me a backache or help a 2-year old reach the dinner table from a dining room chair!

My intent was to replace the old one with the new one on the shelf. But suddenly I realized that, in one whole year, I haven’t once opened the yellow pages! So I hauled them BOTH to the recycle bin.



Photobucket

When I need to know something about something, something about anything, or anything about something or anything about anything – I go to the Internet! Google is my new best friend.

Need a phone number? Internet. Plumber? Internet. Zip Code? Internet. Map or driving directions? Internet. Possible treatments for Aunt Sally’s latest illness? Internet. Picture for a greeting card or church bulletin? Internet.


It goes on and on and a world of information is there at the tips of your fingers.

Photobucket

The Internet is a rich and reliable resource for (almost) anything you need to know. Besides that, it expands what you need to know by taking you to places that tell you what you didn’t know you need to know.

As we blog along in 2012, we’ll explore some of this fascinating new universe. Besides, who needs all those heavy, bulky old phone books anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do love Google! Poor Yellow Pages--they are like encyclopedias! A thing of the past.
Keep up the good work! Sarah