Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday's Treasures

On Tuesday's we are going to take a trip down memory lane with some "remember when" photos and stories submitted by our students. It could be photos from a high school prom; a nostalgic look at a 1950's TV program or a collage of photos that were just taken last week. If you have memories, old or new, you would like to share, send them to me at mxw8110@yahoo.com.


For Those Who Lived Through It!

One of the assignments for the Collage Class I'm teaching right now is creating a nine-square template where different pictures and text can be added. As always, I thoroughly enjoy what my students come up with.

The two images below address an unusual situation for Dallas...lots of snow!

This first collage is surely one you would stop and peruse! When Roger Slover agreed to let me use his work on the blog, I asked him to talk a little about it. Here is what he said:

"The top three squares show the increasing depth of snow over time.

The snow scenes were already gray. I chose the most colorful of the photos I had with red berries as a contrast and focal point in the middle of winter.

The scene at the 3 o'clock position was a chain link fence! The two lower corners were of snow falling at its heaviest to show the motion in action.

I used the berry color for part of the text to emphasize snow in Texas:"



As is often the case, I am "surprised by joy" as C. S. Lewis would say, with the variety that emerges when we do this simple nine-square template.

The next image, also of winter a winter scene, was done by Ray Bolton (he's just as good as we knew he was going to be Vicki!). The bottom six squares are all one picture. Then the top three squares are different pictures.

Sepia color was added in an adjustment layer above all the images. The text color came from one of the images in the collage. Then each square was stroked with that color. Finally the squares and text were stroked with off-white.



These two collages are exactly why I love my work!!! What a wealth of creativity we have in our age group!

I agree with Bo Bennett who said, "Enthusiasm is excitement with inspiration, motivation, and a pinch of creativity."

A special thanks to Roger Slover and Ray Bolton for allowing me to show their work!

2 comments:

Rita said...

It is just beautiful!
Rita

Anonymous said...

Neat!!!!!
Edie