Thursday, September 3, 2009

Internet Magic Fridays

Jane Booras is the Editor of numerous newsletters including our Campus Times. She will be sharing how you can find whatever you need - photos, clipart, information, maps, phone numbers - on the Internet.


Sync or Swim

The official web definition of “sync” or syn.chro.nize is:

1. To occur at the same time; be simultaneous
2. To operate in unison i.e.
a. To cause to occur or operate with exact coincidence in time or rate such as, “We synchronized our watches,” or
b. To cause or occur or operate at the same time as something else: “They synchronized their trip with the annual tulip festival.”
c. A parallel occurrence.


That got me to thinking…that’s the story of my life lately, a series of parallel occurrences! The challenge, of course, is to sync events in such a way as to go with the flow instead of swimming upstream!

I have both an ipod and a Palm Pilot that have to be “synced” with my desktop computer periodically. The software comes with the “equipment.” The question is, do I have the software in my head to sync my daily life? How do I get from this:


Photobucket

To this?:

Photobucket

So to get in snyc, the logical alternatives seem to be:

1. Abandon it! Give up something. One of these activities has to go!
2. Delegate! Pass something off to someone else.
3. Live in chaos! Ignore the problem.
4. Help! Ask for help.

Give something up? But everything I do is so much fun! Last week, with the help of lots of happy volunteers, we created a “wall” for the opening of Sunday School. Every teacher (and there are about 70), was featured with a picture and a “factoid” (cute sayings about themselves) on the wall.

Photobucket

The Payoff. It was a lot of work – both at the computer and at the wall. But the payoff came Sunday when both children and adults were delighted to see their teachers’ or colleagues pictures and read the factoids, like “I ate a prairie dog once, and now I am a vegetarian,” or “I have webbed toes,” or “I flew an airplane when I was 11.”

Photobucket

Photobucket

No, once committed, giving up is not an option. The key is to say ‘no’ at the appropriate time – when originally asked to do the task – not after the commitment has been made.

Delegate? Why do I always think I can do it better myself? Guess I got that from my mother, who lived by that mantra. That’s probably why early in my adult life, when I observed a scummy ring in the bathtub, I had to ask how to remove it! I had never been asked to do it before, and had never seen one. Therefore, I didn’t have a clue what it was or where to start.

How many times have people said, “If I can help you, let me know.” And you nod politely. Well, they just may MEAN IT. Take people at their word and give them a call. They may be willing to share part of the (burden) project – run an errand, make a few phone calls, or contribute in other ways that will make your life easier.

Live in Chaos? Not my style. I find that the older I get, the more I want (need!) things to be organized. Even though the daily planner has given way to the Palm Pilot or cell phone calendar in recent years, most organization in life takes place in the brain!

When chaos sets in, there are only two alternatives: 1) Setting priorities and 2) Focusing on one thing at a time!

Ask for help? I believe this may be the answer. First, I’ll ask God to continue to bless me with the good health, skills and motivation to continue an active retirement, then I’ll look for additional resources.

So I am learning to keep my life in sync and my head above water! It’s about time. Yes. It’s about TIME.


Photobucket

Jane Booras is Editor of the Campus Times Newsletter for Computer School for Seniors (www.cs4seniors.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice!

Anonymous said...

Great post Jane! Good advice. The last picture reminds me of Ester Williams a looong time ago!
Mimi