Sunday, January 15, 2012

Inspiring Words

Bill Witcher, co-founder of Computer School for Seniors, will be sharing words of encouragement, inspiration and hope with you on Sunday.




“Coach, what is success?”


John Wooden is a legend. He coached basketball for over forty years. He only had one losing season (his first). He led his UCLA teams to four undefeated seasons and a record ten NCAA championships, including seven in a row. Wouldn’t you say that is a successful coach? How did he do it? His coaching accomplishments are unbelievable and unparalled – “seven NCAA championships in a row!” Incredible.

In his book Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court, he said…

“I have often been asked when I first started dreaming about winning a national championship. Was it at Indiana State Teachers College or after I arrived at UCLA. Perhaps while I was a college player? I never dreamed about winning a national championship.

What I was dreaming about each year, if you want to call it that, was trying to produce the best basketball team we could be. My thoughts were directed toward preparation, our journey, not the results of the effort (such as winning national championships). That would simply have shifted my attention to the wrong area, hoping for something out of my control. Hoping doesn’t make it happen."

Mix idealism with realism and add hard work. This will often bring much more than you could ever hope for.”



“Success is peace of mind,
which is a direct result
of self-satisfaction
in knowing
you did your best
to become the best
that are you are
capable of becoming.




~John Wooden

No comments: